Dual Enrollment


Students are allowed to dual enroll as part of their schedule at Harper Creek High School. We have a partnership with Kellogg Community College (KCC) that helps students challenge themselves and experience college before they graduate. 

In accordance with the Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act (PSEOA) (Public Act 160 of 1996) and the Career and Technical Preparation Act (Public Act 258 of 2000), Harper Creek High School provides general information about the PSEOA and college equivalent classes to all students. The Public Acts currently allow students to take up to 10 dual enrollment classes in grades 9-12 with different grade levels having different individual limits. Students at HCHS are assisted in finding courses, completing applications, and looking up credit transfer information. 

PA 258 specifies qualifications for membership and considerations for school districts when determining if a student qualifies for dual enrollment. The Public Acts do not prohibit a district from supporting any pupil regardless of eligibility under these acts. A district may choose to support college-level or career preparation courses for any pupil if it is in the best interest of the pupil. 
Information to Consider Before Dual Enrolling
  • The student is ready for a college experience
  • Students are responsible for their own transportation
  • Students are on track for attaining credits towards graduation
  • Student attendance records do not indicate a history of truancy (more than 10 days)
  • Students must have received a qualifying score on at least one of the following tests: MME, ACT, SAT, PSAT or Next Generation
  • Dual enrollment courses may not replace any courses required or offered by the district. An exception to this is if the administration determines there is a scheduling conflict beyond the student's control
  • The dual enrollment course may NOT be in the subject area of physical education, theology, divinity, or religious education; hobby and recreational courses are prohibited as well.
  • Students must take all state and district assessments during scheduled times. This includes but is not limited to, the M-STEP, PSAT, SAT, NWEA and final exams.
  • If students have previously failed a dual enrollment course, the cost of the course must be paid back before you are eligible to take another.
  • Failing or withdrawing from a dual enrollment class could negatively affect eligibility for federal financial aid following graduation.
  • It is the student's responsibility to communicate with their college instructor if they are going to miss a dual-enrolled course regardless of the reason (illness, state-testing, final exams, etc.)
  • If textbooks are not returned within 3 days of completion of the class, the student is responsible for the cost of the book
  • There is an allotted amount that HC will pay for the dual-enrolled course. Should your course exceed that amount, the student is responsible for the remaining balance. 
  • The HCHS schedule takes priority over dual enrolled courses. Should a dual-enrolled course conflict with a HCHS schedule, it is the student's responsibility to adjust their dual-enrolled courses. This may mean finding a new section, finding a new class altogether or not dual enrolling at all.
  • If students need assistance in adjusting dual-enrolled schedules, they must contact their college advisor. This also includes planning for post-secondary transferable credits. 

Steps to Enroll in Dual Enrollment 

Meet with your School Counselor the semester BEFORE you want to enroll. 
-School Counselor will check student attendance records. Students cannot be absent for more than 10 days in any class.
-School Counselor will check that the student is on track for graduation.
-School Counselor will check if the student has a qualifying score on SAT or PSAT or if they require Accuplacer Next Generation.

Apply at KCC using the Dual Enrollment Application 
-Students will need to submit their application to KCC. They can do this with their School Counselor if they have their Social Security Number available, otherwise they may complete at home
-Student will go to www.kellogg.edu
-Click on Apply Now at the top of the page
-Scroll down just a little to find the High School/Dual Enrolled Students box
-Click on Apply Now link
-All the steps to locate and submit the application are available here
-Once you have submitted your application, let your School Counselor know as soon as possible so they can begin submitting your documents. We will submit your residency (if you have a school picture in PowerSchool), High School Transcript, and PSAT/SAT scores

Review, Sign, and Submit your Dual Enrollment Agreement to the Counseling Office
-The Agreement can be accessed here
-It must be signed by both student and parent
-Please review the terms and expectations closely

Obtain K-ID
-Once the application is completed the student will receive their K-ID in the mail and to the personal email they applied with
-The K-ID is their username to log in to the Bruin Portal
-The Bruin Portal is the equivalent of their PowerSchool, it is how they will register for classes, check grades, access Email, Moodle, etc
-The letter/email will instruct students on how to set up their password and activate their Bruin Portal. Students can complete this step on their own or they can come to visit their School Counselor. 
-If you do not receive the letter/email, please follow these instructions here on how to obtain your K-ID on the KCC website

Register for and complete your Online Learner Orientation
-As of 20-21, all students are required to complete the Online Learner Orientation as a pre-requisite. Even if they are not planning to take online courses
-To register for the Online Learner Orientation: 
1) Log into Bruin Portal
2) Click on Search for Classes
3) Search for "KCCS-C100"
4) Click "Plan"
5) Go back to Bruin Portal homepage by clicking on "Bruin Portal" on upper left
6) Click on "Class Schedule"
7) Click "Register"
- Click here for instructions on how to search and register for classes in Bruin Portal (disregard payment information)
8) Once you are registered, give the system 15-20 minutes for your Moodle account to activate (Moodle is how students access online courses). This is where you will access the orientation. Click here for instructions on how to access Moodle

Accuplacer Next Generation
-If a students P/SAT scores do not meet the minimum KCC requirements, then they MUST take the appropriate Accuplacer Next Generation test for the courses they want to take
-Most courses students dual enroll in only require the Reading score. Students must score either at least a 25 in Reading on the P/SAT, or at least a 244 on the Accuplacer NG Reading test
-Other courses, for example ENG 151 or Math courses, will require eligible Writing and/or Math scores 
-Please confirm the score requirements for your courses of interest in the KCC Course Catalog

Meet with School Counselor Again
-Students may begin to register for classes when it opens for their intended semester (typically early June for Fall semester, and late October for Spring semester)
-Students should meet with their School Counselor to make sure that registration is open and to discuss which KCC class(es) they will schedule
- For information on choosing a course, please review the information here, and discuss your choices with your School Counselor
-School Counselors MUST know which classes and sections the student registered. We send over authorization paperwork to KCC. Without this paperwork, the student can be dropped from the class. 
-Submit the Dual Enrollment Agreement if you have not yet done so 

Register for Class(es)
-After their School Counselor knows which classes the student plans on registering for the student can register if they have not already done so.
-Students MUST make sure you have followed all the steps to Register rather than just Plan the courses on your Schedule. Planning a course on your schedule does not register you. Please review the resources above or check with your School Counselor if you are uncertain about this. 

Transfer Guides
-If you plan to attend another school besides KCC it might be good to check the KCC Transfer Guides
-These guides help show students which KCC class will transfer to other colleges in MICHIGAN. If you plan on attending college out of state you should check with that college.